The next English expansion for the Pokémon TCG, dubbed Pokémon TCG: XY – BREAKthrough, has officially been announced! While the expansion’s name and relation to Japan’s newest TCG set (Blue Shock • Red Flash) has previously been shown here, we now have official English information regarding XY BREAKthrough, as well as new English scans of two BREAK evolution Pokémon: Raichu BREAK and Chesnaught BREAK.
Straight from the official press release, here’s what to look forward to in XY BREAKthrough:
- New BREAK Evolution game mechanic—When a Pokémon evolves into a Pokémon BREAK, it gets an HP boost and a new attack or Ability, but it also gets to keep its existing attacks! Pokémon BREAK cards have a landscape design, unique foil pattern, and uniquely rendered art.
- 6 new Pokémon BREAK including Chesnaught BREAK and Zoroark BREAK
- 8 new Pokémon-EX including 4 new Mega Evolution Pokémon, plus 20 Trainer cards, including 2 full-art rare Ultra Trainer cards
- Booster packs—Packs of 10 additional cards selected from the expansion will be available.
- Two new theme decks—These 60-card preconstructed decks are designed to introduce players to the Pokémon TCG by enabling them to play right away. Each will include 59 standard cards and 1 special foil card.
The official site also revealed English scans of Chesnaught BREAK and Raichu BREAK, which you can see for yourself here (click the cards for a better view):
XY BEAKthrough is set to release in most English-speaking countries on November 04, 2015.
I love the fact that the BREAK cards give Pokémon who haven’t gotten a Mega Evolution yet a chance to shine – literally and figuratively speaking.